Our client, a technology-centric organisation and leader in their field, is on the look-out for a Java Team Lead to head up one of 3, high-performing development teams here in Sydney.
The Principal Software Engineer Lead will be responsible for the daily function, quality and delivery responsibilities of a software engineering team and encompassed line management duties.
In this role you will; perform complex software engineering assignments, provide technical guidance and leadership, provide project coordination & project supervision as required and coordinate activities for proposals/new business. This position typically works under limited supervision and direction. Incumbents of this position regularly exercise discretionary and substantial decision-making authority.
- Direct line management of software engineers; setting team and individual goals, providing employee feedback, aligning team and individual activities to project delivery plans, identifying conflict, addressing issues affecting productivity
- Conducting formal performance development reviews of employees and monitoring of progress through-out the review cycles
- Co-ordination of software development activities including production deployment by ensuring adherence to the Cubic software processes, meeting documentation standards, conducting sprint planning, stand-ups, design reviews, demos and retrospectives, always an eye on continuous improvement
- Support resource allocation and ensuring resources which are assigned to projects are consistently meeting commitments
- Development and maintenance of software components, unit tests, database and operating system scripts using the provided development tools and following the standard Cubic development processes
- Helping to identify and remove blocks to software development through positive interactions with test teams, other team leads and managers
- Facilitate maintenance of design governance in interfaces, software components and data model designs, leading formal or ad-hoc design reviews where necessary. In times where conflict arises, help mediate outcomes
- Appropriately escalating unresolvable issues to engineering management
- Working with PM to close out projects and generally working with the team to remove technical debt
- Work with external/internal clients or consultants, architects, system engineers, carefully managing requirements, expectations and delivery of agreed outcomes
- Coordinating task estimation for feeding into cost models and project schedules
- Highly proactive identification and assignment of test and operational issues and help in resolving them
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum of 7 years software development experience in a structured development environments (waterfall and agile)
- Minimum of 2 years leading teams through highly technical and cost sensitive projects
- Broad aptitude for coordinating both people and technical activities
- Some previous experience in leading application design and associated interfaces and data models to understand issues involved
- Ability to solve complex problems in the development of computer software systems
- Strong verbal, written communications and interpersonal skills. Ability to interact professionally with internal and external customers, and technical and non-technical persons
- Experience with transport ticketing or tolling systems or financial transaction clearinghouse and related functions (Desirable)
- Ability to negotiate with PMs and stakeholders
- Ability to prioritise work effectively while managing activities across multiple projects and operational issues
If you have the skills and experience mentioned above please 'Apply Now' or get in touch with Tom Watt at Clicks Sydney.